Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Brew-ha-ha.

Beer.
Once again, I recently found myself at a watering hole with an impressive beer selection and decided to "take one for the team" and perform my own impromptu beer tasting. Over the course of many hours, I came across 2 notables - Allagash White and Hitachino Nest Stout.

The Allagash White is a product hailing from Portland, Maine. It is their interpretation of a Belgian wheat beer (no wonder I like it!). It has a slightly spicy aroma and taste, but is so light and smooth that the spice isn't overwhelming. Because it is so drinkable, the Allagash could easily be an option to drink with a meal and on into a late night.

The Hitachino Nest Stout is a completely different kind of beer. Coffee flavors have become pretty common in Stout Beers as of late, but I have NEVER had a beer that had such a java punch. You might see this same beer called an Espresso Stout...and I think that is very appropriate. But now that I have scared you, I will say that the Hitachino has a bit of an addictive quality to it. With it's sweetness, rich texture and slight hint of chocolate, I thoroughly enjoyed every last sip. I don't think that I could drink more than 1 or 2, I think it could be the perfect way to end a meal. It's kind of like dessert, right?

No comments: