Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bicerin

Cold Weather Drink Recipe.

Knowing cold weather is right around the corner has me searching wildly for a few fun beverage solutions to warm my bones. With the wind whipping around, I always find my mind drifting towards thoughts of hot coffee, or wait, maybe hot chocolate. When I saw the Bicerin (beech-eh-REEN) a traditional hot drink native to Turin, Italy, made of espresso and drinking chocolate, I knew my days of having to decide where long gone.

Don’t fool yourself into thinking that this simple drink is, well, simple. It’s a work of art. It’s an exercise in contrasts (hot/cold), textures (rich and full/light and airy), and flavors (dark and bitter/sweet and creamy).

If you are anything like me and a tasty hot beverage at the end of a brisk winter day makes you a little giddy…try this.


1 part freshly made hot coffee or espresso
1 part freshly made hot chocolate
1 part heavy cream

Place a cocktail shaker in the freezer until well chilled, at least 10 minutes. Fill a large heatproof glass with very hot tap water and set aside.

To serve, empty glass and dry out. Layer ingredients in the glass by placing a shot of espresso or coffee in the bottom and then, while slightly tilting the glass, slowly pouring in hot chocolate. Remove shaker from freezer, add cream, and shake vigorously until frothy, at least 20 times. Spoon shaken cream on top of hot chocolate and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jolies photos !
Voici mon site:
www.myriamfaconne.fr