Friday, April 2, 2010

A Southern Delicacy

Recipe.

Recently I found myself at a happy hour in Brooklyn that served boiled peanuts. I have heard of boiled (bawled) peanuts but I don’t actually remember ever eating them. My perception was always, “Why would I want to eat a soggy, wet peanut?” Wow was I mistaken, in a word they are “delicious”. I made quick work of the pile in front of me and a mental note to tell the readers about this Southern delicacy.

Although the process is quite easy you will have a small investment in the time it takes to boil these tasty morsels. The boiling process takes from 6-8 hours. But luckily you can make a large batch to store in the fridge and either serve them cold or reheat in the microwave when the craving hits. So anytime you find yourself with a few hours at home why not throw on the stockpot and boil away.

I plan to keep a stockpile of boiled peanuts in the fridge and pull them out for game nights, cocktail hours, movie nights and anytime I want a healthy snack.
Boiled Peanuts

4 quarts of water
½ cup salt
2 pounds of raw peanuts

In a large stockpot bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the peanuts and stir to “settle” peanuts. Cover and reduce to a slow boil/simmer. Check water level every hour and check for doneness. Add more salt if desired. Total cook time could take between 6-8 hours.

1 comment:

ALM Chandler said...

Throw in half a pack of crab boil and some jalepenos - absolutely addictive!